Re: Install pg_regress script to support PGXS?

From: Fabien COELHO <fabien(at)coelho(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Install pg_regress script to support PGXS?
Date: 2005-09-29 13:24:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Dear Tom,

> While testing the recent pgxs patch, I noticed that you can build and
> install contrib with PGXS:
> It seems that it ought to work to run installcheck too:
> 	gmake USE_PGXS=1 installcheck
> but this does not quite work because the pg_regress script isn't
> included in the installation tree.  (If you copy it to where it'd
> need to be, installcheck works.)
>
> Is it worth including pg_regress in the installation to make this
> work?  Seems like it might be handy for external modules to be able
> to run self-tests.

Indeed, I noticed this when I did pgxs;-) It is on my todo list for
postgresql, but I haven't had time much time this year to contribute
anything.

The reason it was not included at first is that it seemed to me that
selftests require a temporary installation which make sense easilly when
building from sources, but I was not sure about what would be really
needed for the feature out of the compilation tree (special conf files,
diff/comparison commands...). I was planning to investigate the details,
but if the pg_regress command is enough, that was a little bit stupid of
me not to do it directly. ISTM that the pg_regress command is not compiled
by default, only under "make test", so it should be added to the default
compilation?

--
Fabien.