Re: Backup issue

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Marcin Giedz <marcin(dot)giedz(at)eulerhermes(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup issue
Date: 2005-09-17 16:31:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
Marcin,

What I have done in the past is setup a bi-monthly base backup
(pg_start_backup:rsync data:pg_stop_backup) and archive the WAL files between
base backups with the archive_command option in postgresql.conf, saving 2 base
backups and removing anything older than the oldest base backup.  If you use
rsync with the --link-dest option you can possibly save much space between the
two base backups if you do not have many deletes in your DB.  The --link-dest
option assume you are rsyncing to a filesystem which supports hardlinks.  I
also gzip the WAL files when archiving them.

> But what if my database has ~200GB and more (I know this is a future :D)?
> From my point of view it won't be good idea to copy entire database to backup
> array. I would like to here opinions about this case - what do you propose?
> Maybe some of you already do something like this?

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954