Re: Backup issue

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Marcin Giedz <marcin(dot)giedz(at)eulerhermes(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup issue
Date: 2005-09-17 16:31:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marcin,

What I have done in the past is setup a bi-monthly base backup
(pg_start_backup:rsync data:pg_stop_backup) and archive the WAL files between
base backups with the archive_command option in postgresql.conf, saving 2 base
backups and removing anything older than the oldest base backup. If you use
rsync with the --link-dest option you can possibly save much space between the
two base backups if you do not have many deletes in your DB. The --link-dest
option assume you are rsyncing to a filesystem which supports hardlinks. I
also gzip the WAL files when archiving them.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/