Re: newbie - postgresql or mysql

From: aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net
To: Frank <farocco(at)verizon(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: newbie - postgresql or mysql
Date: 2005-08-31 16:17:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello Frank,

I believe that PostgreSQL is a proper RDBMS adhering to the ACID
principles, as well as has similar functions to Oracle, in terms of having
procedural language support with pg/plsql and the ability to also use
other languages such as perl, java (pl/perl and pl/java) to do the same.

I think that you can use the GUI tool PgAdmin III to do what you
probably do with Navicat for MySQL. MySQL is not really free there are
some caveats that you have to look out for, PostgreSQL is 100% free (as
like in the brew).

I am sure that there are others who could give you a better
insight than I have, BUT hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Aly

--
Aly S.P Dharshi