Re: Question on placing database on a network attached

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question on placing database on a network attached
Date: 2005-07-30 22:56:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

If you are using postgresql-8.0.x, then you can use PITR and base backups to
achieve a fairly consistent backup on a NAS which restores rather quickly. If
the NAS supports hard links, then you can use the --link-dest option of rsync
to make the base backups quite fast and still retain more than one base backup
at a time. The only problem with this solution is that you need at least as
much disk space as your PGDATA directory contains, plus enough space for the
WAL archives between base backups.

If the NAS does not support hard links, but does do snapshotting as you
indicate, then using rsync with the --partial flag against the previous
base backup would also be quite fast and bandwidth efficient. The
snapshotting on the NAS would take care of the prior version base backup for
you and all you need do is rotate out the WAL archives according to how many
snapshots you care about.

Using PITR in this way has the added benefit of allowing you to restore the DB
to some point in the past if need be.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/