Re: Help for postgresql binary installation v.8.0.3

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Jana Nguyen <jana(dot)nguyen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help for postgresql binary installation v.8.0.3
Date: 2005-07-13 06:27:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jana Nguyen wrote:

> I am installing postgresql v. 8.0.3 binary on a redhat linux rhel 3.0.
> What rpms are needed and in what order for installation since I see a
> slew of rpms below.

If you download all RPMs and run

rpm -qip package_name

comamnd, you'll see the detailed information about each package.

You'll need to install postgresql-libs first. If you want to run server,
install postgresql-server and postgresql rpms. If this will be a client,
then you don't need to install -server RPM. The other packages are for
developing applications, docs, tcl, pl, etc support.

However, due to an important change in PostgreSQL 8.0.2+, you'll need
another RPM in RHEL 3:

With this RPM, you can overcome the problem. First install this package
and then install PostgreSQL.

> It be great if there is documentation for binary installation for
> postgresql v.8+ as well.  If so, let me know.

postgresql- RPM comes with a "README.rpm-dist" file and that will guide
you for RPM installations.

However it might be good to include an RPM doc in main documentation set.
I'll submit a patch today.

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ,,
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)