Re: problem with WAL files

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with WAL files
Date: 2005-06-30 22:40:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Would you be more specific please?  Looking at the code, I can't see a
> reason that the first one would be treated differently from others.
> What *exactly* did you get?

Unfortunately, I do not have my output saved, but here's basically what
happened:

I made a base backup as such:

* psql to start backup
* rsync pgdata dir with --exclude pg_xlog
* psql to stop backup

Copy this to new server's pgdata dir, put in recovery.conf and start postgres.
Postgres reports that it could not find wal archive (which would be the in-use
wal during the base backup) and exits fatal.  Copying the wal archive to the
archive dir received the same warning; however, copying it to the pg_xlog dir
allowed the restore to begin and the archived wal files after that happily
started replaying.

I'll have to retest that particular scenario and verify that something else
was not causing the problem when I have a chance now that I have a fully
functional and scripted out base backup and recover solution; however, it did
not give me any of the errors I see when my walrestore.sh script cannot access
an archived wal, so I would believe it did not even try to get it out of the
archive.

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954