Re: wal logs in pg_xlog

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wal logs in pg_xlog
Date: 2005-06-29 15:08:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Nasir Iqbal Danish wrote:

> Please provide me if u can some script to identify which one is latest file
> so that I can copy this to some other place.
> One more question. Is there a way to build or configure the database server
> to replicate pg_xlogs ?

I use this fairly simple method:

LASTLOG=`ls -rt /pg_xlog/ | grep -v "backup\|archive" | tail -1`

There might be something more elegant. I also use the following method to get
rid of archived wal files that are older than the oldest base backup I am
keeping:

OLDESTFILE=$PITRBASEDIR/`ls -t $PITRBASEDIR | tail -1`/backup_label

if [ -f $OLDESTFILE ]; then
/usr/bin/find $PITRDESTDIR -type f -not -newer $OLDESTFILE \
-exec rm -f \{\} \;
fi

Your mileage may vary, but it appears to work for me.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/