restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir
Date: 2005-06-23 17:55:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
When reading the docs on recovery.conf, I noticed this:

  WAL segments that cannot be found in the archive will be sought in pg_xlog/;
this allows use of recent un-archived segments. However segments that are
available from the archive will be used in preference to files in pg_xlog/. The
system will not overwrite the existing contents of pg_xlog/ when retrieving
archived files.

If the system will use the files in the archive in preference to the ones in
pg_xlog, how can this actually happen if it will not overwrite the contents of
pg_xlog?

I also noticed that if there is not at least one wal archive available in
the archive or the pg_xlog dir, the restore errors out and exits.  So the
base backup is really not complete without at least one wal archive
following it.  Is this by design?

Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954

pgsql-admin by date