restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: restoring wal archive and pg_xlog dir
Date: 2005-06-23 17:55:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
When reading the docs on recovery.conf, I noticed this:

  WAL segments that cannot be found in the archive will be sought in pg_xlog/;
this allows use of recent un-archived segments. However segments that are
available from the archive will be used in preference to files in pg_xlog/. The
system will not overwrite the existing contents of pg_xlog/ when retrieving
archived files.

If the system will use the files in the archive in preference to the ones in
pg_xlog, how can this actually happen if it will not overwrite the contents of

I also noticed that if there is not at least one wal archive available in
the archive or the pg_xlog dir, the restore errors out and exits.  So the
base backup is really not complete without at least one wal archive
following it.  Is this by design?

Frost Consulting, LLC
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954

pgsql-admin by date