looking for consulting

From: David Lang <dlang(at)digitalinsight(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: looking for consulting
Date: 2006-01-30 14:32:24
Lists: pgsql-general

please reply to me directly, I am not subscribed to this list.

I've got some money in my companies budget this year to buy postgres
support/professional services.

feel free to forward this message to other developers (or sales folks) to have
them contact me

I will be running the database on 64 bit Opteron systems, either debian or
Ubuntu (debian derivitive) and want to run the publicly available version (as
opposed to a version tweaked by any particular company, just in case I end up
choosing a different company for support next year :-)

The application will be data warehouse type analysis of log data (firewall
logs, linux/aix/solaris syslogs, apache logs, custom application logs, etc).
another system will have the authoritative copy of the logs (gzipped on a 6TB
raid array), I have a box to do data parseing, loading and reporting, and a
seperate box to be the database (final box will be 2x Opteron 252, 16G ram, 2x
143G 15K rpm SCSI, 16x 500G 7200rpm SATA on 3-ware 9500 cards) I am currently
gathering ~60M lines of logs/day and expecting that this will double by the
time all logs are gathered. as such the database will only hold the latest data
with older data being purged off (although we would like the option of loading
up older data if it needs to be analysed after it's rolled off the database)

the details of the analysis are not well known at this point, this is part of
what will be worked out through the year.

I have been useing postgres for fairly small things for a number of years, but
will definantly need assistance in tuneing the database, schema, and queries as
we go along. so this is going to be both a support contract (so that I have
someone to call when I run into problems) and a professional support contract
(assistance in writing things to parse logfiles to load into the database and
to generate reports from the database).

I am in the Los Angeles area, but since we are not asking for on-site
assistance the company location should not be critical.

In spite of the data volume we are not looking to use a clustered database at
this point in time (this is a proof of concept), but if things work especially
well this project could grow into useing such things late in 2006 (at which
point there would be significant additional funding for equipment, software,
and services.

I won't say up front what my budget is, other then to say that the
POC/support has >$10k allocated to it, and the possible eventual clustered
solution has >$200k allocated to it

David Lang

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so
simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make