Re: PITR: in use WAL file question

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR: in use WAL file question
Date: 2005-05-13 17:49:15
Lists: sfpug

---498786332-328574496-1116006152=:6036

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Jeff,
>
>> Did you mean using CHECKPOINT to force a WAL rollover for use with PITR?
>>  Or did you just mean doing something like this:
>
> Checkpoint to force a WAL rollover.
>
> I'm a bit surprised that you folks aren't turning over WAL segments faster.
> I thought you had more traffic than that?

Probably our traffic is more read intensive.

Assuming I can just look at the modified times of the WAL files in the
pg_xlog directory on the filesystem like so:

-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 13 10:30 0000000C0000009C
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 13 05:07 0000000C000000A3
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 12 21:38 0000000C000000A2
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 12 13:52 0000000C000000A1
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 12 04:39 0000000C000000A0
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 11 20:35 0000000C0000009F
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 11 11:58 0000000C0000009E
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 May 11 05:13 0000000C0000009D

Then it's really about every 5 hours. Statting the WAL files makes it seem
like that is actually the case. Of course I could be making a foolish
assumption regarding this, so maybe there is a more reasonable way to look at
this info? This is actually the old running 7.4 system which will be replaced
this weekend.

BTW, running a checkpoint did not appear to make it roll over the WAL log on
7.4...is that behavior different on 8.x?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/