Rule problem with OLD / NEW record set (repost)

From: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Rule problem with OLD / NEW record set (repost)
Date: 2005-01-28 22:19:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I posted the question below to the pgsql-sql list, but did not receive any
answer yet. Therefore I repost it on pgsql-general in hope for any
information regarding that issue. Thanks alot.

Best regards
... Ralph ...

---
given is a table with a version history kind of thing I am currently working
on. Upon this table there is a view and the application interacts with the view
only, updating/inserting/deleting is controlled by rules. It seems like the
record set "OLD" gets changed when it is used in a SQL expression:

CREATE TABLE table1
(
id INTEGER NOT NULL,
version INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
vnoflag CHAR(1),
content VARCHAR(20)
);

INSERT INTO table1 (id, version, vnoflag, content) VALUES (1, 1, 'Y', 'Test');

CREATE VIEW view_table1 AS SELECT * FROM table1;

-- create a rule for update
CREATE OR REPLACE RULE ru_view_table1_update
AS
ON UPDATE TO view_table1 DO INSTEAD
(
-- insert a new record with the old id, old version number incremented
-- by one, versionflag set to 'Y' and the new content
INSERT INTO table1 (id, version, vnoflag, content) VALUES (OLD.id,
OLD.version+1, 'Y', NEW.content);
-- update the old version and set its versionflag to 'N' as it is no
-- longer the current record
UPDATE table1 SET vnoflag = 'N' WHERE id = OLD.id AND version = OLD.version;
);

SELECT * FROM view_table1;
id | version | vnoflag | content
----+---------+---------+---------
1 | 1 | Y | Test
(1 row)

UPDATE view_table1 SET content = 'New Test' WHERE id = 1 AND vnoflag = 'Y';
SELECT * FROM view_table1;
id | version | vnoflag | content
----+---------+---------+----------
1 | 1 | N | Test
1 | 2 | N | New Test

It seems like the UPDATE statement updates both the old and the new version. If
I correctly go through the statements by hand, they should read:

INSERT INTO table1 (id, version, vnoflag, content) VALUES (1, 1+1, 'Y', 'New
Test');
UPDATE table1 SET vnoflag = 'N' WHERE id = 1 AND version = 1;

If I change the UPDATE statement to read:

UPDATE table1 SET vnoflag = 'N' WHERE id = OLD.id AND vno = NEW.vno-1;

it works like expected:

id | version | vnoflag | content
1 | 2 | Y | New Test
1 | 1 | N | Test

Where is my logical error? Shouldn't the first UPDATE statement suffice?
---