Re: rescue databases after upgrade?

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: test(at)fredens(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rescue databases after upgrade?
Date: 2005-01-13 08:33:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 test(at)fredens(dot)net wrote:

> Hi, i was running sql-ledger on redhat 9, then I upgraded to fedora core 3
> and postgresql 7.4.6.
> Now there's an error message saying "you need to upgrade data format
> before using postgresql"
> On webpages like
> There's advice how to backup databases and then upgrade postgresql, but is
> the procedure the same when postgresql already has been upgraded, or is
> there a special "rescue" procedure ?

Our RPM sets have a README.rpm-dist file. It says:

"The old server subpackage must be removed first, the new package
installed, and the data restored from dump."

So... I think you should do the following:

* Backup your data directory (In case of emergency)
* Uninstall existing RPMs and install the RPMs which matches your previous
version on Red Hat 9 (7.3.8 RPMs for Fedore Core 3 are available on any
FTP mirrors of PostgreSQL).
* Start PostgreSQL service.
* Under normal conditions, you should be able to access your datas.
* Run pg_dump and get a full backup of your database.
* Remove PostgreSQL rpms.
* Remove data directory.
* Install new set of RPMs.
* Start PostgreSQL service and restore your backup to 7.4.6.

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ,,
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)