Re: upgrading postgresql

From: Christian Fowler <spider(at)viovio(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: upgrading postgresql
Date: 2004-12-15 16:43:52
Lists: pgsql-admin
2 bits of wisdom:

1. As mentioned below, always try this upgrade on a test/ offline/
sandbox/ development/ testing /etc server first

> -- Clean out the $PGDATA directory (keep a copy of your pg_hba.conf and
> postgresql.conf for reference)

2. A simple 'mv data/ data73/' after pg shutdown keeps your 7.3 DB around
incase something goes terribly wrong (i have had some dumps that would
*not* re-import themselves due to illegal characters). If you need to get
back online asap, just slip the 7.3 rpms back in, and 'mv data73 data'

> I'd recommend a test run of the major upgrade procedures you're planning
> on doing on a backup machine in case you run into some problems.  Use of
> a replication engine, like Slony as well as pgpool can allow you to
> seamlessly upgrade your installation while it stays online.  I'd
> practice this too on a backup system before going after the live
> servers.

[ \ /
[ >X<   Christian Fowler      | spider AT viovio.com
[ / \   http://www.viovio.com | http://www.tikipro.org