Re: Installing Postgres - newbie

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing Postgres - newbie
Date: 2004-11-04 20:34:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Pallav Kalva wrote:

>   I am installing Postgres for the first time on my Linux machine , I found
> the following  RPM packages for the RedHat 9
>
> postgresql-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm     postgresql-contrib-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm
> postgresql-devel-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm    postgresql-docs-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm
> postgresql-jdbc-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm    postgresql-libs-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm
> postgresql-pl-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm    postgresql-python-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm
> postgresql-server-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm    postgresql-tcl-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm
> postgresql-test-7.4.6-2PGDG.i686.rpm
>
>   How do i know which one is for installing the Postgres server and what are
> the other packages for ? do i have to install all these packages too ?
> Can anyone please tell what these each packages are for ?

Here they are:

postgresql : If you want to manipulate a PostgreSQL database on a remote
PostgreSQL server, you need this package.

postgresql-libs : The postgresql-libs package provides the essential
shared libraries for any PostgreSQL client program or interface. You will
need to install this package to use any other PostgreSQL package or any
clients that need to connect to a PostgreSQL server.

postgresql-contrib : The postgresql-contrib package includes the contrib
tree distributed with the PostgreSQL tarball. Selected contrib modules are
prebuilt.

postgresql-devel : The postgresql-devel package contains the header files
and libraries needed to compile C or C++ applications which will directly
interact with a PostgreSQL database management server and the ecpg
Embedded C Postgres preprocessor. You need to install this package if you
want to develop applications which will interact with a PostgreSQL server.

postgresql-docs : The postgresql-docs package includes the SGML source for
the documentation as well as the documentation in other formats, and more.
Install this package if you want to help with the PostgreSQL documentation
project, or if you want to generate printed documentation.

postgresql-jdbc : PostgreSQL is an advanced Object-Relational database
management system. The postgresql-jdbc package includes the .jar file
needed for Java programs to access a PostgreSQL database.

postgresql-pl : PostgreSQL is an advanced Object-Relational database
management system.  The postgresql-pl package contains the the PL/Perl,
PL/Tcl, and PL/Python procedural languages for the backend.  PL/Pgsql is
part of the core server package.

postgresql-python :  The postgresql-python package includes a module for
developers to use when writing Python code for accessing a PostgreSQL
database.

postgresql-test : The postgresql-test package includes the sources and
pre-built binaries of various tests for the PostgreSQL database management
system, including regression tests and benchmarks.

postgresql-server : The postgresql-server package includes the programs
needed to create and run a PostgreSQL server, which will in turn allow you
to create and maintain PostgreSQL databases. You should install
postgresql-server if you want to create and maintain your own PostgreSQL
databases and/or your own PostgreSQL server. You also need to install the
postgresql package.

postgresql-tcl : The postgresql-tcl package contains the libpgtcl client
library, the pg-enhanced pgtclsh, and the PL/Tcl procedural language
for the backend.

So... If you want to install a server, you have to install
postgresql-libs, postgresql and postgresql-server packages, at minimum.

Regards,

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim~gunduz.org				devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
 			http://www.tdmsoft.com
 			http://www.gunduz.org