Re: NIC to NIC connection

From: Christian Fowler <spider(at)viovio(dot)com>
To: Kent Anderson <kenta(at)ezyield(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Admin(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NIC to NIC connection
Date: 2004-10-19 23:22:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
There have been many comments about this already Kent. My $.02:

The most common practice I am aware of is to install 2 NIC's in each
appserver - one to your load balancer, and one to your private network
(192.168.*) where your database server sites. In fact, ideally your
database machine has no publically addressable nic at all. I have
personally dealt with such a setup in several installs, some doing of
millions of page views per *day*, and it has always been very reliable,
secure, and fast.

Use gigabit everywhere on your 192.168 "database" network. If you are
concernced about bandwidth, wire up and look at the
traffic for yourself.

getting postgres to use this setup should be a piece of cake. Just make
sure your settings in pg_hba.conf are setup right.

Good luck.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Kent Anderson wrote:

> We are upgrading our servers and have run into an interesting situation.  It
> has been proposed that we have a direct connection from the web servers to
> the postgres server via extra NICs. Has anyone done this before and how big
> a project would it be to alter ASP and Java applications to make use of such
> a connection?
> Before we even waste time installing the NIC's I would like a sense of how
> hard it is to get postgres to use that kind of a connection vs over the
> Internet. We are looking to increase communication speed between the web
> servers and database server as much as possible.
> Thanks
> Kent Anderson

[ \ /
[ >X<   Christian Fowler      | spider(at)viovio(dot)com
[ / \ |