Re: NIC to NIC connection

From: Christian Fowler <spider(at)viovio(dot)com>
To: Kent Anderson <kenta(at)ezyield(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Admin(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NIC to NIC connection
Date: 2004-10-19 23:22:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
There have been many comments about this already Kent. My $.02:

The most common practice I am aware of is to install 2 NIC's in each
appserver - one to your load balancer, and one to your private network
(192.168.*) where your database server sites. In fact, ideally your
database machine has no publically addressable nic at all. I have
personally dealt with such a setup in several installs, some doing of
millions of page views per *day*, and it has always been very reliable,
secure, and fast.

Use gigabit everywhere on your 192.168 "database" network. If you are
concernced about bandwidth, wire up http://www.mrtg.org and look at the
traffic for yourself.

getting postgres to use this setup should be a piece of cake. Just make
sure your settings in pg_hba.conf are setup right.

Good luck.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Kent Anderson wrote:

> We are upgrading our servers and have run into an interesting situation.  It
> has been proposed that we have a direct connection from the web servers to
> the postgres server via extra NICs. Has anyone done this before and how big
> a project would it be to alter ASP and Java applications to make use of such
> a connection?
>
> Before we even waste time installing the NIC's I would like a sense of how
> hard it is to get postgres to use that kind of a connection vs over the
> Internet. We are looking to increase communication speed between the web
> servers and database server as much as possible.
>
> Thanks
> Kent Anderson

[ \ /
[ >X<   Christian Fowler      | spider(at)viovio(dot)com
[ / \   http://www.viovio.com | http://www.tikipro.org