Re: Server unreliability

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 17:26:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www

Hi,

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> o  Location of servers
>
> The location of our servers in Panama is a problem.  They are too far
> for any PostgreSQL maintainers to access.  Changing hardware or
> diagnosing problems has been too hard.  I have had like 2 days of
> downtime on my home machine in the past 12 years.  We have had more than
> 2 days of downtime in the past 6 months.  My wife would not accept such
> a reliability level.

I think mirroring of the web & FTP sites helped hub.org too much, but I
still agree with you. Do you have any suggestions for that? Who
would/could support/donate such a bandwidth?

> o  FreeBSD
>
> The use of FreeBSD jails can cause servers to take +8 hours to fsck on a
> server crash or power failure.  Again, I would never accept such
> problems on my home server so it is hard to fathom how a project with
> thousands of users can accept that.  Either we need to find a fix, stop
> using jails, or get another operating system, but continuing to use a
> setup with a known problem is just asking for trouble.

I hope we'll not begin a OS/distro war! (O.K, it'd be good if Red Hat
contributes RHEL to PostgreSQL project ;) Anyone from Red Hat in here, or
in -core? ;) )

> o  Web site
>
> We have been talking about a new web page layout for years at this
> point.  I almost don't care if they just put a dancing bear up on the
> web site.  Let's do something!

Like this one? : http://www.jensummerfield.supanet.com/bearaniy.gif

Heh heh.

Well, web team (mostly Alexey) is working on it. We have a fabulous new
design (you know...). I think it'll be ready before 8.0.0. See the -www
archives for that (Archives? Umm maybe Google...)

> o  Archives
>
> The archives situation is a continual problem.  Again, maybe a dancing
> bear can help.  :-)

:-) A Google search box could be better sometimes...

Regards,

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim~gunduz.org				devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
 			http://www.tdmsoft.com
 			http://www.gunduz.org