todo: comment field for pg users and groups

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: todo: comment field for pg users and groups
Date: 2004-09-22 11:15:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Dear developers,

As I'm managing accounts for students... I noticed that there does not
seem to be a proper way to keep a comment about a postgresql user account,
such as the full name of the student or its email, that I could see with
\du or some system query. My solution is to keep the "mapping" somewhere
else, but having that in the database directly, just like the gecos field
in a unix password file, would help managing the stuff.

Thus I would suggest to add one new text field in pg_group and pg_shadow
for this purpose, that could be initialized with something like:

 	CREATE USER calvin COMMENT 'Calvin <calvin(at)comics(dot)org>';

Alternatively, it could be managed with "COMMENT ON ..."? Well, users or
groups are not really database objects... so it does not really fit.

If there is some kind of agreement about this, maybe it could be added to
the todo list for 8.1 (or later;-)?

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien.

Next:From: Laszlo HornyakDate: 2004-09-22 13:02:22