Re: [Dbdpg-general] benchmarking old Pg and DBD::Pg

From: "Brandon Metcalf" <bmetcalf(at)nortel(dot)com>
To: Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: dbdpg-general(at)gborg(dot)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Dbdpg-general] benchmarking old Pg and DBD::Pg
Date: 2005-04-08 18:17:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
m == marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com writes:

 m> we've noticed that too here and quick explanation is - with the new
 m> "prepare" implementation, the query get prepared on the server side,
 m> which is good; the problem is that all of the bind values passed to
 m> the sql server during execute call are in form of ***varchar***, i.e.
 m> even if a field is of int type in postgresql table, DBD::Pg passes
 m> your bind value as char - as a result, postgresql doesn't use indexes.

 m> I don't know if developers of new DBD::Pg have some game plan to fix
 m> this problem... but it won't be easy: since perl is a no-var-type
 m> language, so either DBD::Pg needs to analyze the table columns data
 m> types first before executing a query and then use correct type for
 m> bind values, or let coder pass those types explicitly... though I'm
 m> not aware of a method in DBI that would let them do that...

Wouldn't bind_param() do just that?

--
Brandon