Re: strange disappearence of postgres file

From: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange disappearence of postgres file
Date: 2005-11-23 08:09:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Harald Armin Massa wrote:

> no, it is definitely NOT a temp table. I know which table it is,
> because: that "could not open relation ..." error message was exactly
> provokable with "select * from repofeld", which is one of my tables in
> that database.

What is your file system, NTFS or FAT32? Is that table newly created?

So there is a valid record in pg_class but the representing data file is
lost ... a possible theory of what's happened could be:

1) create the table;
2) a checkpoint happens;
3) lost power;
[ restar the machine and database ]
4) file system recovery - unable to recovery your data file;
5) database recovery - don't play WAL and recreate your data file because
of the checkpoint;

Is that possible?

Regards,
Qingqing