Re: Array elements (urgent help needed)

From: Akbar Mokhtarani <akbarm(at)slac(dot)stanford(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Array elements (urgent help needed)
Date: 2004-10-08 17:08:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi Tom,
I am using PG 7.4.5. I searched the source code and found few pointers. I
was able to solve my problem, sort of. I am including my observation and
a test program for experts to review and correct. Hope people find it
useful.

Thanks,

Akbar Mokhtarani

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> What PG version are you using?
>
> In 7.3 and earlier you have to deal with the server's internal
> representation, warts and all. (I think what you're getting burnt by is
> failing to account for MAXALIGN alignment, but it's hard to be sure
> without more detail.)
>
> 7.4 and up have a documented, more or less platform-independent
> representation, but it's not necessarily any easier to work with since
> you do need to be able to convert to whatever internal representation
> you want to use.
>
> In any case, you need to read the server-side source code to see what
> you're dealing with. None of these details have made it into the SGML
> documentation, but they're covered fairly well in the source comments.
>
> regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
arrayAccess.txt text/plain 9.9 KB