Resurrecting pg_upgrade

From: "Serguei A(dot) Mokhov" <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Resurrecting pg_upgrade
Date: 2004-08-31 20:13:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just poking around to see if anyone is working on resurrecting the concept
of pg_upgrade after all these years? If not, I think I have nearly ready a
high-level design of how the whole upgrade procedure will work, but I just
need to clear out some ideas and put them together in a more-or-less
coherent way. If nobody's working on the feature, I'd like to tackle it
for 8.1/8.2 after having the design approved by the community.

To clarify some of these, I would like to identify the codepaths, more
generally -- directories with the code that, if changed, forces initdb.
I'd assume these would fall into this category:

If you have time, please make the list above more complete or remove
extraneous items.

Please Cc to me as I am on the digest on most pg lists.

Thank you,

Serguei A. Mokhov            |  /~\    The ASCII
Computer Science Department  |  \ / Ribbon Campaign
Concordia University         |   X    Against HTML
Montreal, Quebec, Canada     |  / \      Email!

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: markirDate: 2004-08-31 21:44:37