Re: pgsql-server: Add ALTER INDEX, particularly for

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Add ALTER INDEX, particularly for
Date: 2004-08-22 00:15:00
Lists: pgsql-committers

Umm... oops.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > Add ALTER INDEX, particularly for moving tablespaces.
>
> This patch is a perfect example of why unreviewed patches should not
> go in during beta.
>
> So far I have noticed the following problems with it:
>
> * Added reference page wasn't linked into the docs build.
>
> * Added a field to struct AlterTableStmt, but did not do the necessary
> housekeeping for extending a Node (eg, copyfuncs and equalfuncs
> adjustments), nor make sure the field is validly set in every place
> an AlterTableStmt is constructed.
>
> * ALTER INDEX RENAME doesn't actually work.
>
> regression=# alter index foo_pkey rename to zzz;
> ERROR: unrecognized rename stmt type: 9

Thanks for spotting this sloppy work. Basically, I cropped my diff because
there was lots of unrelated code in the work space. But I was a little too
hard and culled allfiles.sgml, alter.c, equal/copyfuncs.c and analyze.c.
BUT I should have tested the patch on a fresh checkout, especially since
someone else noticed the tab-completition naming thing. Sorry.

I was getting together a patch against HEAD but I just noticed that you
fixed this. Thanks.

Gavin