Re: pg_dump 'die_on_errors'

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump 'die_on_errors'
Date: 2004-08-11 16:33:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Dear Philip,

> The default setting of 'false' is a pain. And the fact it can't be
> changed by an option is even more of a pain. Any objections to adding an
> option to pg_restore to allow 'die_on_errors' to be set to 'true'?

If I remember correctly, I'm the one who implemented that ignore error
feature so that pg_restore auto-connection behaves as pg_restore|psql.
Before that, the result was different whether you would pipe or you would
connect, so it was somehow also a pain... because a non-super user
could not really use it to restore a base for himself has some commands
would fail and stop the processing.

I implemented it so that it is easy to add an option to change the
behavior, but in the end it was decided that the option would wait
for more motivation. Maybe the time has come;-)

BTW, Why is the default behavior such a pain?

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr