Re: pgsql-server: PostgreSQL extension makefile framework

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <petere(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org,PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: PostgreSQL extension makefile framework
Date: 2004-08-10 15:55:17
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
Dear Peter,

> PostgreSQL extension makefile framework ("pgxs"), by Fabien Coelho, with
> some massaging by Peter Eisentraut.  This is basically a simple
> generalization of the existing contrib makefiles.

Thanks for your help.

I'm having a look at CVS know, and it seems to me that one cannot pgxs
"dynamic" stuff to install any contrib, because:

(1) all makefiles in contrib include directly "src/Makefile.global" which
    is generated by configure, although it is already included by the
    "src/makefiles/pgxs.mk" makefile anyway, so it seems to me that it
    is useless because redundant?

(2) only static includes are used, so I cannot use "pg_config --pgxs"
    approach to install a contrib against an already compiled postgresql?
    basically, you drop the USE_PGXS stuff for dynamic configuration
    of contrib makefiles, and I have found no replacement.

That does annoy me a little bit not to be able to use it, as it was one of
my motivations for doing all that stuff...

May I enquire on the rational for the current status?
Would it be possible to have both worlds?
If not, what is the actual issue?
What was broken with version 4 I sent?
Or am I missing something somewhere? I'm pretty jetlagged this afternoon...:-(

Thanks in advance,

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr