Re: Patch for pg_dump: Multiple -t options and new -T

From: "David F(dot) Skoll" <dfs(at)roaringpenguin(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for pg_dump: Multiple -t options and new -T
Date: 2004-07-21 14:11:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,

This is a response to several messages:

1) Copyright notice: I have no problem having this removed, although it
would be nice to credit me somewhere in a comment.

2) I put most of the code in a separate file so that if the patch is
rejected, it's easy for me to maintain a forked copy. If the patch is
accepted, obviously it can be integrated into an existing file.

3) Multiple -n options: We need to figure out how this would work, and make
it non-surprising. Some ideas:

pg_dump -t t1 -n s2 -t t2 -t t3 -n s4 -t t5

What does that do? My guess is:

- Dump table t1 in any schema
- Dump tables t2 and t3 in schema s2
- Dump table t5 in schema s4

So now the position of the options matters! That might surprise people,
because:

pg_dump -s s1 -t t2

is no longer the same as:

pg_dump -t t2 -n s1

What about:

pg_dump -t t1 -n s2

Should that dump table t1 in any schema, and any table in schema s2?

If we can nail down the semantics, I can implement the patch. The
code is very simple.

4) The -T option (and, one assumes, a corresponding -N option)

If the -T option is considered unknown/risky and would prevent the patch
from going in, we can drop it for now.

Regards,

David.