Re: inheritance question

From: evgeny tsurkin <tsurkin(at)p-roman(dot)jct(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: mike g <mike(at)thegodshalls(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inheritance question
Date: 2004-07-18 08:46:08
Lists: pgsql-admin
I am but that is what actually want : to be able to add a column
to the first table and have the second to be added a coulumns
automatically.The target is realy simple :
i want to simplify management of the schema and thus be able to
manage only parantes - children should be managed aoutomagically
But the data is NOT the same!
Isn't it the inheretence is all about - to inherit?
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, mike g wrote:

> According to your posting below the second table will have all the
> columns of the first table plus extra columns.  If that is true then why
> are you trying to add a column to your first table and not your second
> table as well?
>
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 06:32, evgeny tsurkin wrote:
> > Hi All!
> > That probably was already asked thousand times
> > but i did not find an exact answer:
> > I want to have two tables the second one will have
> > all the columns from the first + some extra .The data
> > should be complittly separate .I was trying to use
> > inheritance and setted the  SQL_INHERITANCE = false
> > to separate the data ,but when trying to add a column
> > to the father i have got an error:
> > ERROR:  Attribute must be added to child tables too
> > what can i do ?
> > Thanks
> > Evgeny.

Evgeny.