case sensitive identifiers in 7.3.4

From: Dana Hudes <dhudes(at)tcp-ip(dot)info>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: case sensitive identifiers in 7.3.4
Date: 2004-07-08 04:29:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs
The documentation clearly states in section "1.1.1 Identifiers and
Keywords" that "Identifier and key word names are case insensitive".
It goes on to give an example where a column name is used in lower case
and in upper case or any mixture.

I have found that the actual implemented behavior is not
in conformance with the above. It can be demonstrated in psql
if you create a column whose name is mixed case , e.g. "DocRoot" in table
"websites" that
	select "DocRoot" from "websites";
works and that
	select "docroot" from "websites" does not.
This isn't specific to psql. I found it when using the Class::DBI Perl
library (built on Ima::DBI, DBI, and DBD::Pg ). Somewhere between my code
and the database the column name was forced to lowercase and therefore the
query faild. As noted I reproduce this behavior with psql.

this is on SuSE 9.0 with postgresql 7.3.4-53

pgsql-bugs by date