Re: pg_restore ignore error patch

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore ignore error patch
Date: 2004-04-10 12:19:45
Lists: pgsql-patches

Dear Andrew,

> > Well, it means that you must decide a dump time if you may have to
> > restore in an older version. I can guess why it eased the
> > implementation, but it does not look good.
>
> You want to be able to backup from version x to version y for some y<x? We
> support upgrades, not downgrades. What doesn't look good about that?

Ok, I understand your comment about upgrading. However most of the time I
use dump/restore as a backup/transfer facility, and seldom as an upgrade
tool.

I transfer some data from one server to the other. On such occasion,
I use my laptop to connect with server X, I download the data, then I
restore them to server Y. The versions on my laptop and both servers are
likely to be different. My laptop is likely to have some development
version, and the servers may be in 7.3 or 7.4.

This may not be the intended use of pg_dump and pg_restore, but this is
what I do. Hence from this it would be nice if pg_restore could restore
to older versions. Hence my comment "it does not look good". It is just
a question of perspective.

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr