Re: pg_restore ignore error patch

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore ignore error patch
Date: 2004-04-10 08:47:48
Lists: pgsql-patches
> > My tests suggest that a feature of pg_restore is that it is only
> > expected to work with its own server. Indeed, it generates some new
> > syntax, such as $$ quoting, which is not compatible with older servers.
> > This fact does not seem to appear in the documentation.
>
> Wrong. It does appear in the documentation, and it can also be disabled.

Good!

> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/app-pgdump.html says:

I looked briefly at *pg_restore* documentation, as I was interested in
pg_restore. But the logic is just mine;-)

Well, it means that you must decide a dump time if you may have to restore
in an older version. I can guess why it eased the implementation, but it
does not look good.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr