Re: BUG #2246: Bad malloc interactions: ecpg, openssl

From: Andrew Klosterman <andrew5(at)ece(dot)cmu(dot)edu>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2246: Bad malloc interactions: ecpg, openssl
Date: 2006-02-14 20:25:06
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-patches
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Stephen Frost wrote:
<snip>
> It's kind of a chicken-and-egg here because the backend decides what
> authentication mechanism to ask for based off the username (at least in
> part) through pg_hba.conf, so you can't find out the authentication
> method until you know the username so all methods to find the username
> have to be exhausted.  You could avoid this by explicitly passing
> 'user=' into the connection parameters though...  Would be interesting
> to know what happens then...

When asking about "explicitly passing 'user=' in to the connection
parameters" do you mean that the EXEC SQL CONNECT line that ecpg parses
should specify a username?

My code is using the following statement when making a remote connection
that uses SSL.

EXEC SQL CONNECT TO :l_target AS :l_connection
     USER :l_user IDENTIFIED BY :l_passwd;

The target machine (hosting the database) has "ssl=on" in postgresql.conf
and in its pg_hba.conf (snippet below) a line for the client machine from
which I am making the connection that specifies an SSL connection should
be made.

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
hostssl andrew5     andrew5     172.19.130.4/32       pam passwd

--Andrew J. Klosterman
andrew5(at)ece(dot)cmu(dot)edu