Re: Help. Pg not running

From: Sam Barnett-Cormack <s(dot)barnett-cormack(at)lancaster(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Asidha Luhwidyanto <asd(at)dijogja(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help. Pg not running
Date: 2003-06-30 19:39:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Asidha Luhwidyanto wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm sorry, I'm a beginer in PostgreSQL.
>
> I have problem with my PostgreSQL after my server un complete shutdown.
> When i want to run postmaster there some error massage and postmaster can't
> run.
>
> this is the massage :

<SNIP ERRORS>

> What i must to do to fixing this problem ?

This is exactly what happened to me before - the WAL (write-ahead-logs)
or xlogs have become corrupt, or more like;ythe pg_control file got
wiped. What you need to do is:

1) backup your xlogs and pg_control, just in case.

2) touch to make an empty pg_control

3) read the manpage on pg_resetxlog - figure out the correct transaction
id and other values, and run the program. Possibly backup the entire DB
directory structure, just in case.

4) Trial and error (possibly) until you get the server to start again.
Then do *nothing* until you have dumped the db to a file, and cleanly
resotred from it. You should also manually check for inconsistencies,
although if you have correctly used contraints it should barf on input
if there are any. Assuming your DB is fully normalised.

Hope that helps

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer | Student of Physics & Maths