Re: manage stored files via web

From: apz <apz(at)nofate(dot)com>
To: Victor Yegorov <viy(at)pirmabanka(dot)lv>
Cc: Postgres PHP <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: manage stored files via web
Date: 2003-03-20 13:41:43
Lists: pgsql-php
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Victor Yegorov wrote:
> What I want is that file name suggested by browser would be the one, stored
> in DB. I currently enclose it in Content-type: HTTP header, but that seems
> to be not working.

content-type, as name sais, is to suggest a 'type' of the file, should
browser try to show the file (in case its plaintext/html) or should it
call a plugin (ms word = "application/msword").

What you want is you want to suggest that
1. browser saves the file
2. browser use different name than the url one.

for this purpose you got in header option to do "Content-Disposition".
Here I must warn you that IE expects Content-Disposition handled
differently than other browsers. Here is what I used to do:

----
$myfakefilename = readFileName_FromDB();
if (strstr($_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"], "MSIE"))             // For IE
   header("Content-Disposition: filename=$myfakefilename" . "%20");
else                                             // For Other browsers
   header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$myfakefilename");
----

enjoy,

/apz,   Sometimes you get an almost irresistible urge to go on living.