Re: 8.1beta, SunOS and shmget

From: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1beta, SunOS and shmget
Date: 2005-08-29 15:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Sergey E. Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru> writes:
> > So, are the shared memory requirements increased for 8.1 ?
> Yes; mostly from 2PC support I think.  Try reducing
> max_prepared_transactions.  (We might want to debate whether the default
> setting should be smaller than 50 --- it looks to me like that's adding
> over 700K to the default shared memory block size.)

Yes, the decreasing of max_prepared_transaction helped (after some
testing, I've found that the max_prepared_transactions=3
max_connections=10  shared_buffers=20 was well enough to fit 1mb of
shared memory)(unfortunatly max_connections=10 is not enough to run
fully the make check :(, but I cannot raise more the max_connections

But I'm a bit surprised. Since, the initdb didn't worked from the very
beginning it was not possible to change postgresql.conf, and I was forced
to change the postgres sources initdb.c and guc.c, than recompile and
check whether initdb works. Is that normal way to do it?

With Best regards,

Sergey E. Koposov
Max-Planck Institut fuer Astronomie
E-mail: math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru