Re: implementing asynchronous notifications

From: Andras Kadinger <bandit(at)surfnonstop(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: implementing asynchronous notifications
Date: 2005-04-11 03:34:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> It'll be tricky to do this from a single codebase as the NIO changes
> would need to reach right down to the underlying protocol stream.. it
> seems hard to localize the changes.

Okay, then I implemented this using Socket.getInputStream().available()
calls.

Proof of concept attached.

PGConnection.getNotifies() now processes peding Async Notifies first - no
need to send polling queries to the server anymore. The result is zero
network traffic in the idle case.

Any comments?

I am unclear as to how to handle possible protocol errors (e.g. when what
we end up reading from the connection is not an 'A'sync Notify).
Theoretically, in a working connection this should not happen though.

Attachment Content-Type Size
processNotifies.patch text/plain 4.5 KB