Daylight saving time

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Daylight saving time
Date: 2004-10-24 07:51:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I found a nice page about daylight saving time that I want to share:

http://timeanddate.com/time/aboutdst.html

Here are some fun quotes from the page:

"Sometimes DST is used for longer periods than just one summer, as in the
United States during World War II. From 3 Feb 1942 to 30 Sep 1945 most of
United States had DST all year, it was called "War Time"."

"many countries change the transition days/principles every year because
of special happenings or conditions that has happened or will happen."

Also notice the current list of DST changes for this fall 2004:

http://timeanddate.com/time/dst2004b.html

I can understand why they did not try to formalize that in the sql spec.

ps. This letter does not mean that I think it's bad to handle time zone
names, just that it's even more difficult then I first thought.

--
/Dennis Björklund