IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From: Joshua Kramer <josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?
Date: 2004-07-12 21:30:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Last week, I got some DB2 literature from IBM.  (I didn't ask for it, all
I wanted was a CD with the software, but I guess they saw fit to send me
the whole thing.)  In this literature was a guide titled, "Why DB2 vs.
Open Source Databases Sales Guide".

The guide mostly concentrated on MySQL, but they did have one paragraph
about PostgreSQL.  They noted that SourceForge started off using
PostgreSQL, but when the site grew it "crashed 4 to 5 times per day" under
the increased workload as more people put their projects on SF.  They of
course then went on to praise how DB2 handles heavy workloads.

Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?  I've
run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if the
disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to this.

Thanks,
--Josh

pgsql-advocacy by date