Re: LinuxTag wrapup

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LinuxTag wrapup
Date: 2004-07-03 16:43:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Andreas Pflug wrote:

> IMHO we should rethink if we could make those people happy. How about a
> loadable personality (IIRC SAPDB has something like that), to exchange
> the parser in use with a custom one (by a SET command)?

Having two parsers would be a nightmare to maintain.

If anything one could have one parser that handles oracle syntax and give
errors on such constructs unless some variable is set.

The question is how much of the problems that are pure syntax and what
needs deeper changes. My guess is that just changing some syntax will not
be enough to make many oracle program work.

> BTW, many people I addressed when they rested for a few seconds in front
> of the booth just said "no thanks, I don't have any questions, I'm using
> PostgreSQL and I'm happy with it".

Then they probably just wanted to chat but didn't know how to start a
conversation. A true geek problem?!? :-)

--
/Dennis Björklund