Re: lock timeout patch

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Satoshi Nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lock timeout patch
Date: 2004-06-28 11:29:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:

> If I set statement_timeout to 1000 to detect a lock timeout,
> I can't run a query which takes over 1 sec.
>
> If a lock wait is occured, I want to detect it immediately,
> but I still want to run a long-running query.

Why is it important what it is that makes your query not return as fast as
you expect? Maybe it's locking, maybe the computer is swapping, maybe it's
just lack of IO to that disk that holds the table, maybe it does a big
sort and have too little sort_mem to do it fast, ...

What makes locking special?

--
/Dennis Björklund