Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-24 04:38:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Upper-case-only sucks, by every known measure of readability, and I
> don't want to have to put up with a database that forces that
> 1960s-vintage-hardware mindset on me.

Well, get used to it :-)

> So what I'm holding out for is a design that lets me continue to see the
> current behavior if I set a GUC variable that says that's what I want.

Wouldn't the upper case identifiers just be visible in the \d output,
table headers and such. You could still have psql tab completion produce
lower case identifiers (if told using some setting).

Even if the database store all non quoted names as upper case I would
still use lower case in all applications and on the psql command line.

It's not a big problem for me if the output of \d and the table headers
and such is in upper case. One would get used to it fase. And maybe one
can even store an extra bit telling if the string was created with or
without quotes and have psql lower case all the ones created without
quotes.

First I thought that one can store the string with case all the time, and
just convert when needed (when comparing identifiers). Perhaps using the
non existant locale support and locales such as SQL_UPPER or SQL_MIXED.
But it wont work since it would make "Foo" and Foo clash. When translated
directly it would create separate entries "Foo" and "FOO".

ps. And if you want to play the WRITE MAILS USING ONLY UPPER CASE, BE MY
GUEST!

--
/Dennis Björklund