Re: Too many clients

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Andy Dunlop <andy(at)infocus(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too many clients
Date: 2004-02-27 21:16:36
Lists: pgsql-php

On 27 Feb 2004, Andy Dunlop wrote:

> I occasionally get the error "too many clients" when connecting to the
> database. I try restarting the Postgres server and also Apache, but the
> only thing that clears the problem is restarting Linux. I have maxusers
> set to 35, and I am the only user, so I suspect I am not doing something
> in my scripts that I should be, or doing something that I shouldn't be!
> I have the pg_connect at the top of the script so each time it loads the
> page it does a new connect - maybe this is a problem?

The max_connections parameter of PostgreSQL is the max number of
connections 'at the same time'.

So, if your web site has more than 33 visitors (let's say 2 connections
were  "superuser_reserved_connections") at the same time, then you'll get
the error "too many connections". BTW, PHP calls pg_close() at the end of
script execution, if you are using pg_connect ('not pg_pconnect') at the
beginning of the script.

To get rid of that error,
* Make sure that you aren't using pg_pconnect
* Increase max_connections parameter, as well as the parameters related to

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org				devrim(dot)gunduz(at)linux(dot)org(dot)tr

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)