Re: Build farm

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build farm
Date: 2003-11-19 18:18:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Andrew Dunstan writes:

> Maybe it wouldn't be of great value to PostgreSQL. And maybe it would. I
> have an open mind about it. I don't think incompleteness is an argument
> against it, though.

If you want to do it, by all means go for it. I'm sure it would give
everyone a fuzzy feeling to see the green lights everywhere. But
realistically, don't expect any significant practical benefits, such
cutting beta time by 10%.

The Samba build daemon suite is pretty good. We have a couple of those
hosts in our office in fact. (I think they're building PostgreSQL
regularly as well.) A tip: You might find that adopting the source code
of the Samba suite to PostgreSQL is harder than writing a new one.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net