Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tim McAuley <mcauleyt(at)tcd(dot)ie>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)
Date: 2003-09-26 18:40:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Tom Lane writes:

> Yeah, I was wondering whether you wouldn't propose dropping the newline
> consistency check. I'm not very comfortable with that, but maybe we
> should. Bruce?

I don't mind if we keep it on pure-POSIX platforms. But one of the nicer
developments on Windows in recent(?) times is that you can actually use
any kind of line separator and most programs still work correctly (with
the notable exception of Notepad). The drawback of this is that you never
really know what kind of line separator a program is actually going to
write, especially when you start mixing Cygwin, MinGW, and native. So
this newline consistency check is not only going to be pretty annoying on
Windows, it's going to cancel a feature of the operating system
environment.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net