Re: PostgreSQL <> MySQL: missing the point?

From: Michael Pohl <pgsql(at)newtopia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL <> MySQL: missing the point?
Date: 2003-09-15 13:47:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Thus much praise goes to Ian for compiling his excellent "gotchas" list
> that can help a lot in flaming. But I see no such use for "the bullet
> list": I don't see target audience for it.

I disagree.

> There are 2 sorts of people using MySQL:
> 1) Those who know several RDBMSs and use it only when it is the best
> tool for the job (read-only web DB, storing logs, etc)
> 2) Those who know only MySQL and think that it is the Ultimate Solution
> for Everything.

3) Programmers (read: not db experts) who started with MySQL by default or
by recommendation, but who would be persuaded by an objective, non-FUD
comparison to a more capable free RDBMS.

This is the category I fell into three years ago.  Ian's bullet list would
have saved me a lot of research back then.

As a side note, I appreciate the PgSQL community's apparent commitment to
avoid both FUD and overstatement of PgSQL's capabilities.

michael