Re: NLS changes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NLS changes
Date: 2003-09-14 16:48:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane writes:

> Hm, I deliberately left those the way they were on the basis of the
> advice in the NLS documentation: avoid assembling sentences out of
> fragments. Now I can see that the type names involved in these things
> might be considered untranslatable, but could there be any problems
> with, say, gender matching in some languages?

I doubt that. You could always translate them as if the orignal had been
"precision of type %s needs to be xyz". Languages that cannot handle that
without knowing the value of %s are going to have more problems than this.
(I know there are some languages where this is in fact a problem, but none
of them are likely to start a PostgreSQL translation project in the next
few weeks. ;-) )

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net