truth table missing values

From: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: truth table missing values
Date: 2003-08-04 11:11:50
Lists: pgsql-docs
The truth table in

is missing some rows. The meaning is clear if you know that AND and OR is
commutative but that is not written there either.

The reason I found this at all is because in mysql AND is not commutative.
In other words, in mysql

is not the same as

The reason stated in

"NULL AND FALSE will evaluate to NULL and not to FALSE. This is because we
don't think it's good to have to evaluate a lot of extra conditions in
this case."

I tried to look in the devel doc to see if it was the same there, but the
devel part of the site is gone at the moment it seems like. It might be a
good idea to add all combinations just to make it clear for people comming
from mysql (not me, I just stumbled over it by mistake).

pgsql-docs by date