Re: Performance advice

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: michael(dot)mattox(at)verideon(dot)com,Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance advice
Date: 2003-06-25 16:32:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
I agree that a "directed graph"-like performance map
would be difficult to be written or understood.

What i think would be ideal (helpful/feasible)
is some kind of documentation of the algorithms involved
in the planner/optimizer, along with some pointers
to postgresql.conf parameters where applicable.

This way we will know
- Why something is happening
- If it is the best plan
- What tuning is possible

On 25 Jun 2003, Rod Taylor wrote:

> > I think the biggest area of confusion for me was that the various parameters
> > are very briefly described and no context is given for their parameters.
>
> > improvements to the performance sections of the documentation would make a
> > huge difference.
>
> Agreed..  Josh has done some work recently re-arranging things to make
> them easier to find, but the content hasn't changed much.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-210-8981112
fax:    +30-210-8981877
email:  achill at matrix dot gatewaynet dot com
        mantzios at softlab dot ece dot ntua dot gr