Re: Perl interfacing to old and new backends.

From: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perl interfacing to old and new backends.
Date: 2003-02-20 22:33:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> I've got a server currently running postgresql 7.0.2 and I of course want to
> use the latest and greatest production release (well 7.3.1 at least).
>
> The thing being that this is one of those RAQ systems and they have alsorts of
> wierd system admin things, mostly through a web interface, so I don't really
> want to just replace the perl modules with ones linked against the new
> postgresql. I'm also pretty certain that should I be silly enough to try and
> install the modules from CPAN then they will trash the old versions.
>
> Anyone got any hints as to how to run two sets of perl --> pgsql modules
> without doing a completely new perl install in a different tree?

Try installing the module in another directory and 'use lib  q(path_to_mod);'
 I'd watch trying to run both versions under something like mod_perl,
however, because things will get very ugly very quickly.

'perl Makefile.PL  PREFIX=somewhere' should get you most of the way there,
IIRC.  For more info: 'perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker'

The other possibility is to change the name of the module from DBD::Pg to
something else DBD::TestPg or something like that. In this case you would
be able to use both in the same script or in a mod_perl env.

-r