Re: Announce: A pure-Tcl interface to PostgreSQL

From: "C(dot) Maj" <cmaj(at)freedomcorpse(dot)info>
To: ljb <lbayuk(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgaccess - developers <developers(at)pgaccess(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Announce: A pure-Tcl interface to PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-02-16 22:08:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, ljb waxed:

> Announcing the first public release of a Tcl interface to PostgreSQL
> which is written entirely in Tcl. It is mostly but not entirely
> command-compatible with libpgtcl, and should run everywhere Tcl runs
> with no compilation needed.

Hooray !

> For more information see:  http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgintcl/
> The current release 1.3.9 is available for download.

I'm just curious how you got to 1.3.9 without a public release...

> Before you ask, it does not yet work with PGAccess. When there is a stable,
> working version of PGAccess, I will provide a patch to PGAccess for it.

If you need help just starting PgAccess, please use our
support(at)pgaccess(dot)org email.  We could always use some more Tcl coders.

But in regards to the "README.PgAccess" file included in the pgintcl
download and the "known issues" with PgAccess and pgin.tcl :

2. Connecting - easy, except your code will break UDS and force TCP/IP
3. Import/Export - easy if you force the wizard when you decide to use
pgin.tcl, as the wizard uses SELECT/INSERT vs. the old COPY

Given that #2 and #3 would change behavior of PgAccess, I would
recommend that the use of any patch for pgin.tcl be available as a
command-line option.  This way, users could specify whether they want to
use libpgtcl or pgin.tcl, and we could code around it where necessary.

--Chris

--

Chris Maj <cmaj_hat_freedomcorpse_hot_info>
0xC0051F6A