Re: test-and-set for s390x and powerpc64

From: Reinhard Max <max(at)suse(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: test-and-set for s390x and powerpc64
Date: 2002-10-31 17:23:59
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 at 12:17, Tom Lane wrote:

> Reinhard Max <max(at)suse(dot)de> writes:
> > the attached patches provide test-and-set assembler code for s390x
> > (64bit) and ppc64.
>
> Why do we need that ppc64 code?  It appears identical to the ppc
> code (except for missing isync, which means it's broken on multi-CPU
> boxes).

I'll re-check that with the ppc architecture guy here.

> > It also changes the -fpic compiler flag to -fPIC which is needed
> > for some Linux platforms, and AFAIK doesn't hurt on the others.
>
> Evidence?

Shared libraries don't work on the S/390 platforms unless compiled
with -fPIC. The lowercase -fpic is not sufficient there. I don't
remember the details, but the architecture gurus told me that -fPIC is
strictly needed. Here at SuSE all shared libs on all platforms get
built with -fPIC .

cu
	Reinhard