Re: Welcome! (test)

From: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Welcome! (test)
Date: 2002-10-24 17:00:13
Lists: sfpug

Hullo,

I'm Laurette and I work for a small company in Emeryville called NextBus.

I like long hikes in the wilderness, rebuilding my home pc over and over
again and my pets.

But seriously, though I am self-described as very independent, I do work
full time for a small company in Emeryville, NextBus, as their
DBA/Engineer (we were originally a team of 3 but now it's just me...and
I'll definitely keep you in mind Josh if we (read: I) need some help ;.).
We provide a variety of transit related services which includes real-time
arrival predictions for vehicles (we are the ones that do the muni-metro
lines right now and have recently gotten the contract with Muni for their
entire system.

We make use of AVL data (obtained via a GPS that reports positions over CDPD)
to track the vehicles. Based on the route data and tweaking based on
the continuous reports from the vehicles, we predict when that darn thing
will be at the next stop(s). And it works. Very well. These predictions
can be used via the web (www.nextbus.com), a wireless device (phone or pda)
and perhaps some day, some kind of device you can put on your kitchen
table).

I worked for Informix Software for 8 years supporting their various database
engines and after they bought (some say engulfed) Illustra, I was introduce
to much of the features that came from the same background as Postgresql.
I diverted for a year and worked for a huge company where I was not very
happy and then was hired here to help out on the DB projects. So, over the
past 1 1/2 years I've been getting to know Postgresql.

My goal: to learn Postgresql internals. Perhaps this group can help in
that area. I would love to see some Postgresql courses written and taught...
and wouldn't mind doing that..but would like to start to learn the inner
workings better first.

Thanks,

Laurette

--